Job Opportunities with DCSWCD
Erosion and Sediment Control Specialist
This is a technical position responsible for overseeing the stormwater management program. This includes technical planning, education, field inspection on active construction sites, review of stormwater pollution prevention plans, technical assistance for erosion and sediment measures, field work related to outfall location and inspection, and summary of data and report preparation. Work is performed under the general supervision of a higher-level administrator. Direct supervision will be lessened, and greater latitude will be granted to the incumbent as performance and experience increase. Supervision over other staff is not normally a function of this position.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITES:
The following is indicative of the level and types of activities performed by incumbents in this title. It is not meant to be all inclusive and does not preclude a supervisor from assigning activities not listed which could reasonably be expected to be performed by an employee in this title.
- Work with municipal partners and private landowners to provide technical assistance with the implementation and proper use of erosion and sediment control techniques and products to solve situations;
- Provides information/education programs related to natural resource conservation and erosion control to contractors, design professionals, municipal employees and the public;
- Assist in design review and permit preparation for activities or projects involving streams, wetlands, or regulated stormwater activities;
- Assist with development of applications for grant funding and/or the management projects related to stormwater or erosion and sediment control;
- Performs surveys and oversees conceptual design, and construction of assigned soil and water conservation projects such as drainage systems, stormwater management projects, erosion control practices, mined land reclamation plans, and tile drainage;
- Apply computer programs to stormwater management calculations as appropriate;
- Assist with the implementation of erosion and sediment control or stormwater management practices as necessary.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of stormwater management, erosion and sedimentation laws, ordinances, and principles;
Knowledge of surveying methods and practices;
Knowledge of construction methods, equipment and safety;
Knowledge of GIS systems;
Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with co-workers, the general public and public officials;
Ability to read and interpret topographical maps, charts, graphs, and engineering designs;
Ability to maintain records and to prepare accurate and comprehensive reports;
Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
Ability to learn and use computer software packages related to work activities;
Personal characteristics necessary to perform the duties of the position;