2715 RT 44, Millbrook NY, 12545
(845) 677-8011 ext. 3

Stormwater, Permits & Construction Activity

For more information about stormwater regulations, please visit  NYS DEC’s stormwater website.

Stormwater Management

When precipitation comes in contact with pollutants on the ground (such as trash, salt, oil, sediment, metals, and nutrients) the polluted water washes into local water bodies.  Stormwater in Dutchess County flows to the Hudson River, the Housatonic River, or the Croton Reservoir.  Phase I (1990) and Phase II (2003) stormwater regulations originated from EPA as a means to achieve the goals of fishable, swimable waters (Clean Water Act, 1972).  These stormwater regulations affect industries, construction sites and municipalities which release pollutants into storm sewer systems as a result of their normal activities.  The regulations require that these groups minimize pollutant release to storm sewer systems by using better management practices.

The district is involved in many projects affecting stormwater quality in Dutchess County.  District employees work with municipalities and construction site operators to address their stormwater management practices so that they can remain in compliance with the state stormwater permits.  Stormwater best management practices (BMP) implementation services offered by the district include construction site erosion control training, SWPPP review, site inspections to assess erosion control options, development and distribution of public outreach materials, annual report preparation, regional municipal work groups, and regional conferences.

Government Roles in the Stormwater Program

The Environmental Protection Agency regulates stormwater due to its administration of the Clean Water Act.  New York State has the role of administering Clean Water Act programs in New York.  The state wrote a general permit which offers coverage to an applicant as long as coverage is requested under the Notice of Intent and provisions of the permit are followed.  Counties have no role in the implementation of the stormwater program but many municipalities (towns and villages) place additional restrictions on construction activities in their jurisdiction – often requiring the owner/operator to fill out separate municipal forms.  The municipalities have their own process because they are regulated separately under the Clean Water Act and their permit (MS4 General Permit) requires them to play an active role in the approval and inspection of construction activities in their jurisdiction.  The state maintains its oversight role but is less likely to be involved in design review or site inspection.

The State Pollution Discharge Elimination System (SPDES) General Permit for Stormwater Discharges from Construction Activity GP -0- 10-001 was effective on January 29, 2010 and will expire January 28, 2015.

Construction Near Certain Water Bodies

Certain water bodies receive special protection under the construction stormwater program.  The two protected water body types are Total Maximum Daily Load water bodies and 303(d) listed water bodies.  Both of these lists are generated with data gathered by the state.  In Dutchess County, there are no TMDL water bodies as of August 2011.  However, DEC has established Hillside Lake, Wappingers Lake and Fall Kill and its tributaries as 303(d) list water bodies.  If the project will discharge to one of these water bodies, fill out a full SWPPP.

Stormwater Permit Questions
  • Who needs a permit?
    A stormwater permit is required if;

-The owner or operator of any project disturbing one acre or more.

-The owner or operator of any project disturbing less than once acre that is part of a larger common plan of development or sale.

               *Check with your local municipality for additional requirements.

  • What do I need to do?

    1.) Go to DEC’s website to get a copy of their manuals and forms: http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/43133.html

    2.) Contact the local municipality to understand their requirements and process

    3.) Develop a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan

    4.) Fill out a Notice of Intent

    5.) Provide paperwork to the state and/or municipality

    6.) Implement erosion control practices while the project is under construction

    7.) Fill out a Notice of Termination when the project is over

    –       The owner/operator is defined as the person(s) who has operational control over the construction project’s plans and specifications and the ability to make modifications to them, and who provides day-to-day compliance with the SWPPP or other permit controls.

    –       Some municipalities have a lower threshold for inclusion.  The Towns of Beekman, Pawling, East Fishkill and the Village of Pawling require permit coverage for projects disturbing 5,000 square feet or more.  Check with the municipality regarding its size threshold.

    –       For example, if a subdivision were to be built on a 2 acre property but each lot was 0.6 acres, the entire project needs permit coverage.

    –       Some Dutchess County municipalities are regulated by a different permit (the MS4 permit) which requires them to be involved in the approval and inspection of construction projects.  Municipalities that will certainly have additional requirements include Beacon, Beekman, East Fishkill, Fishkill (town and village), Hyde Park, La Grange, Pawling (town and village), Pleasant Valley, Poughkeepsie (town and city), Unionvale, Wappinger, and Wappingers Falls.  Other Dutchess County municipalities may have stormwater requirements.  Check with the municipality.

    –       Some projects need a full SWPPP, some need a basic SWPPP.  A full SWPPP is required when the project will disturb > 5 acres and/or will result in anything other than single family homes.  This includes apartment complexes, condos, offices, commercial buildings, industrial buildings, etc.  The full SWPPP must address water quality treatment and water quantity control as well as erosion and sediment control.  If the SWPPP is written in accordance with the New York State Stormwater Design Manual, the project may proceed within 5 business days from the day DEC receives the NOI.    If the SWPPP is not written in accordance with the manual, the SWPPP must be certified by a licensed professional and the project must wait to begin until after a 60 day review period by DEC.  A basic SWPPP is required of all other projects and must be written in accordance with the New York Standards and Specifications for Erosion and Sediment Control.  A project with a basic SWPPP may proceed within 5 business days from the day DEC receives the NOI.

    –       If a municipality is involved in the stormwater process, it will most likely request the NOI and SWPPP.  The municipality will then review the project and provide a municipal SWPPP acceptance form.  The owner/operator then sends the municipal SWPPP acceptance form and NOI to the New York State Department of Conservation.  If the project’s runoff drains to a sensitive area (TMDL waterbody, 303(d) waterbody) or if the project disturbance is > 5 acres, the SWPPP must also be sent to the state.

    –       During construction, larger projects (>5 acres or non-single family homes) and projects discharging to a TMDL or 303(d) waterbody will need to be inspected weekly and after storms by a qualified professional.  A qualified professional is a licensed professional engineer, CPESC, or soil scientist.

    –       The project can be considered finished when 80% of all surfaces have been covered by plants or other material.